Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Sep 1998 14:17:32 +0200
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      5cyl EV engine in Vanagon?
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

Hello All,

>Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:50:48 -0400 >From: James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM> >Subject: 5cyl EV engine in Vanagon? >A friend of mine, who had just convinced me >to do a super-charged Golf 2.0L conversion >just threw my plans into disarray by locating >an EV short block. >So my question is, will the EV engine fit a >Vanagon, and will it entail raising the rear >deck? Yes, the EV engine will fit the Vanagon like the Audi 5 cylinder. The difference is on minor modifications to fit the EV engine compartment and engine/van characteristics. The intake manifold on EV goes more up than the Audi, in other words, it will show out of the Vanagon decklid (see my web site as reference). Second is, that the oil filler tube on EV engines will show out of the Vanagon decklid, too. I guess, both can be modified by using Audi parts.

> Unlike the Audi 5s this seems to be tilted on >it's side, it MIGHT clear the deck.

The engines in Audi are tilted to the right side (Audi view), too, as in EV it is tilted to the back, but this is same direction for the engine. I guess, the angle is same in Audi and EV. >Lemme Know if anyone has any ideas! >James >PS Yep, I may Super Charge the EV motor instead! You may use the Audi Turbo parts to do this, or better, you may use an Audi Turbo engine instead. Refer to my Audi engine table on the web.

>Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:20:16 -0700 >From: "J. Andersen" <janetda@CRIS.COM> >Subject: Re: 5cyl EV engine in Vanagon? >Have you looked at the bolt pattern for the bell housing? I would >assume if it is the same it should fit, but what do I know. > DrRufo > SOCal-81 vanagon The EV five cylinder does have same bolt pattern as the Audi five cylinders.

Regards Helmut '80 Vanagaudi