Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:58:42 +0200
From:         Meier Michael <Michael.Meier@VT.SIEMENS.DE>
Subject:      Re: How To Get Fatherland "Vanagon" Lists delivered here in Engli
              sh
Comments: To: liste <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Hi Ray,

Martin Peitz had the right explanation for this.

Type 1: all Beetles (Type 11 [flat screen], Type 13 [super beetle, 1303 ], Karmanns [type 14], cabrios [type 15], things [type 181, RHD-Versions called 182], all of them based on the beetle-like chassis, with beetle engine. Type 2: ALL Buses. ALL!!!!! Even the Front-engined 91----> are Type 2's, but 4th generation and so T(ransporter-generation)4s. Type 3: The squarebacks [type 36], notchbacks [type 31], fastbacks [type 32?] and the rare rasore edged Karmanns [type 34] Type 4: 411/412s 68--->74 with that kind of engine that survived in the petrol-US-vanagon up to 83.5. We've got the 1.9 waterboxers from 82 on.

With the beginning of watercooling the confusion started. The strange front-engined K70 is a Type 48, the mid-engined 914 VW/Porsche is a Type 47 with a type 4 engine. Early Golfs are also counted as type 1's, but subnumbered as type 171, Mk 2 Golfs subnumbered as 19E. Early Passats were numbered as type 32 (mid 70's to early 80's) and 32B (early 80's to late 80's).

!!!!!From then on really nobody understood their nomenclature no longer.!!!!!!!

Today they count their cars in classes. A-class Golf, Audi A3, Skoda Octavia, all based on the same kind of chassis B-class Passat/Dasher/Audi80/Fox/Audi A4 C-class Audi A6 (former Audi 100, 5000)

T-class Transporters, counted from generation to generation.

Up to 1991 nobody has ever called a split a Type 2 T1, a bread a Type2 T2 or a vanagon a T3, but with the 4th generation it was necessary for VW to count them to get them separated. Early T2's (round style bumbers) are called T2a here in Fatherland, but when they arrived, nobody could know, that there would ever be another style, so - T2a is a name that was borne later from the enthuisiasts (I remember I've heared it first time in the early 90's), not from the factory, same with T2b, the 72 on shape.

Maybe they've done it in VW's R+D, but nobody external. So nowadays the confusion for the average user is perfect.

Remember, Martin is right: A T3 is a vanagon, a T4 is a Eurovan, a Type 3 is a 1600, a Type 4 is a 411/412. A Type 2 is a bus. Any VW-Bus. That's official.

Nice to see you as confused as nearly everybody here in Fatherland,

Michael Meier Germany, Braunschweig (20 mls from Wolfsburg)

58 split (Type 2, T1, Type 1 engined) 77 westy (Type 2, T2[b], Type 4 engined) 90 caravelle C (Type 2, T3) 74 412L (Type 4) 84 BMW 316a (E30)

Re: Re: How To Get Fatherland "Vanagon" Lists delivered here in English