Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Sep 1998 21:57:46 +1000
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: Joining the Wasserleaker Club.
Comments: To: Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the club! One of my backyard neighbours joined it last week with his 1987 Transporter - it let go in a big way and it was a tow-away on the back of a tow truck. VW mechanic's diagnosed electrolytic corrosion causing a head bolt to fracture and thus the catastrophic failure. Poor maintenance by PO.

In my case it was a slow leak at the front RHS cylinder head bolt, fairly easily seen from under the van but no evidence of corrosion seen on subsequent engine rebuild (bolt broke during retorquing [next time I'll use an accurate torque spanner!]).

Your van's symptoms could indicate leaking coolant pipe connection. I'd suggest firstly examine the engine in detail with the aid of a powerful light and one of those inspection. mirrors on an extended handle. Look for green-blue or white stains which leaking coolant leaves. If that doesn't show the source of the leak clean up engine with degreaser so you have clearer area to look at and then re-examine with the engine running.

Hope you find the leak and that it's not serious.

Jack Newton Sydney Australia 87 Transporter Safari

In reply to Stephen O who says >coolant dripping from around the right hand side cylinder head when the >cooling system was under pressure. >>From underneath the van I was unable to tell exactly where the >source of the leak was,just seemed to be dripping from just >behind the tappet cover (both front and back) >When I looked at the motor from above I found that the leak >appeared to be coming from somewhere on top of the cylinder >head near or possibly under the two black plastic pipes that >cross over the motor.Hard to tell as there is a lot of plumbing >in the way there. >No leaks at all on the lefthand side. > > -----Original Message----- From: Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, 15 September 1998 14:48 Subject: Joining the Wasserleaker Club.