Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:14:11 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      digitool
Comments: To: vanagon list to post <vanagon@vanagon.com>

----------------------- Hi Volks, I do make a digitool and it has gone through various changes as time goes on. The tool started out as a break outbox (all digifant pins available to meter or probe). I then added some LEDs for instant information gathering of the digital signals. With much prodding I then added a LCD panel meter with a rotary switch so the analog signals are easily checked. Several digijet people wanted tools so with the help of Jim Maginal and his van we adapted and tested the digijet version. The led, lcd version takes too long to assemble. Once I changed the design so the lcd meter and leds were on top of a plastic box about 4 hours are required for assembly. So the present digitool has now evolved to a breakout box, LCD panel meter, rotary switch on a 3x4x1.7 inch black plastic box, no leds. With the 12 position rotary switch all digital and analog signals are displayable on the built in meter. The digitool requires the installation of a 25 wire flat ribbon cable onto the ecu (pc serial cable). The cable is soldered onto the ecu circuit board where the 25 pin fi cable connector is soldered. I feel this is the best place to gather the signals that need to be displayed. There are a couple of alternatives. Namely making a T type connector made from an old ecu connector, a fi cable connector and the 25 pin ribbon tied in. I have had no success finding fi cable connectors to make a T type connector. Another is to splice into the ecu or fi (fuel injection) cable. There are 11 points that should be monitored. I plan to post the diagram and plans for the lcd meter version on the web. This will require time, maybe a month. I have plans posted for the original version with leds and breakout feature posted at http://taos.midwest.net/vw these include attaching the ribbon cable to the ecu. If you have no experience with soldering circuit boards maybe you have a friend who does. I will make as many of these as I have time for at or near the cost. I have made several for $50 which includes attaching the cable to your ecu. You pay shipping.

Darrell

-----Original Message----- From: Karl Bloss <blosskf@APCI.COM> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Wednesday, September 23, 1998 9:45 AM Subject: Digifant tool

OK, I've gotten so many queries about this, I'll post the contact info:

E-mail Darrell Boehler <midwesty@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>. He'll tell you all about it. He builds 'em. If you want to know more, search the archives in the last few months for Darrell's e-mail address and Digifant or Digijet.

Sorry if you get swamped with requests now, Darrell. :-)

-Karl

Karl F. Bloss - blosskf@apci.com or bloss@enter.net '87 Vanagon GL Weekender "Beverley"; Trexlertown, PA http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/ Busses by the Trail: http://www.enter.net/~bloss/vw/bbtt/