Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:54:35 -0400
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurospec conversion available on East Coast!!
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The problem as I understand it is the location of the starter -- the adapter plate is expecting the starter at a different position than on the wasserboxer-syncro. Apparently, the diesel-syncro is in the correct position. Hence the need for the diesel-syncro gas tank (which has room for the starter)

Can anyone clarify this for sure????

MJS

At 12:23 PM 9/23/98 -0700, Dave Bayer wrote:

>{begin included messge}

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but IF one could obtain the Syncro Diesel gas tank

>(which is, BTW, available) then theoretically, this conversion should work

>without a hitch, right? Could you confirm this for us? The Tank part # is:

>251-201-075-AD, list price $462.

>{end included message}

> The kit actually uses an adapter plate so the tank would not

>need to be modified. However, I believe one would also need to modify the

>rear engine hanger and subframe to work with the diesel mounting bars. There

>is also the remaining question of whether the engine is lower on a syncro

>then on a 2wd van which might require one to adapt the diesel mounting bars

>to sit a couple inches lower than the kit's setup (I have still to remember

>to measure the distance from the crank to the engine lid on a 2wd - maybe

>karl, I believe that was his name, who is converting his syncro westy to a

>TD could answer that question straight away). Also, you would need to

>fabricate a new air cleaner box if you want to keep the snorkel.

> I saw the Eurospec engine on its pallette during a recent trip to

>Volks Cafe and it was a nice piece of machinery... It uses new casting of

>the diesel oil pan for those of you who were wondering and has a nice exhaust

>system (which would be another fun concern for me). Kyle said it had a

>Eurospec properity chip in the ECU which has been CARB approved - not a

>concern for those out of California but it makes a hell of a difference here...

>dave

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

work: http://www.openmarket.com

play: http://www.hsdesign.com