Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:18:12 -0700
From:         vwmaster@VOLKS-MOTORSPORTS.COM
Subject:      Kyles' view on the Eurospec Conversion
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Listees,

I just wanted to post my views on this conversion both on the Driveabilty and Availibilty of this engine.

Driveabilty;

I had a 50 minute drive at normal Hwy speeds to Eurspec. I found that getting on the Hwy I was doing 55 in 3rd gear without the engine crying to shift. In 4th gear I found myself crusing at 75 with my foot less than halfway to the floor. I found that slowly giving the powerplant more gas that I was at 90 Mph before I knew it!

I find it neccesary to Not get a speeding ticket these days so I found myself "Backpedaling" the Whole way to Eurospec.

The norm for me would be to not be able to keep the vanagon at normal crusing speeds for myself 65-70.

Along my drive I was on an uphill and another Vanagon was in the slow lane, I let him out to pass a slow truck, then as I passed him he had a funny look on his face to WHY I was passing him on an uphill with as much ease as I was????????? I waved and continued on.

The van ran Awesome the whole trip 85 Miles. Hwy mileage is in the 23-25MPG and there is PLENTY of power:)

Availibilty;

There are a number of these kits to be had. They're VERY close to being ready to go. With anything like this a few things need to get worked out to ensure all is well once they're made availible to all that want them.

After we at Volks Cafe installed the first unit by someone other than the tech at Eurospec, Our tech shared info, comments etc with the techs at Eurospec. What this is doing is making everything VERY smooth for the future of this project.

A few details are being fine tuned and at the point that they ALL completed, THEN these engines will be readily availible to those SHOPS that_Eurospec_is comfortable with doing the install. NOT until then will there be kits sent out to anyone from what I understand.

We (Volks Cafe) are fortunate enough to be close to Eurospec, and trusted to do the install THEIR way and not deviate from their wishes that we were given the oppurtunity to do the first install outside of their factory.

I'm sharing this information for a few reasons. One is that I've been waiting a LONG time for this to come to be and I have more of a grip on the progress of this project than more than likely anybody outside of Eurospec. Two, I keep the wishes or Eurospec on top of all and any desions I make in the discussion of this project.

Until I can offer this kit to Anybody that wants/needs it I won't post to the list that I can offer something that I can't follow thru with. I know that many of the people in the Vanagon Community would benefit from having one of these kits. Until they're ready to go we must be patient. Somethings are WELL worth waiting for and I've been waiting and will continue to wait until all is fine tuned.

I want the people interested informed of what's happening instead of mis-informed that something is availible when in all actuallity is almost availible.

I hope this answers questions NOT creates more, but we all know how the List works;0

Kyle --

Kyle Wade (408) 426-1431 OR (408) 429-9424 Keeper of the Volks-Motorsports page Home Page - http://www.volks-motorsports.com ICQ # 3882975