Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:06:00 -0400
From:         Steve Beyer <b5u4v4nb@COASTALNET.COM>
Subject:      Power Window Problem
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Maybe someone with more electrical smarts can help me out . . .

The passenger window on my '91 MV: ---goes up but not down when operated by the passenger door switch ---does nothing when operated by the switch on the driver's door

The motor checks-out OK. When I disconnect the wires and reverse the two leads the "up" position will lower ther window. So I've ruled-out an electrical motor problem or a "binding" window problem.

I replaced the switch in the passenger door with a switch from a Jetta. Same problem.

Then I replaced the switch in the driver's door with the old switch from the passenger door. Same problem.

A little background: the passenger window occasionally did not respond immediately (you would have to hold the switch, particularly when operated by the switch on the driver's door), prior to failing completely. And the driver-side door had to be closed in order to operate the passenger window from the driver's door.

Do I have a fried or broken wire between the two switches? Could both switches fail at the same time?

The driver's side window works fine. Should I be satisfied that half of my power windows work properly?

VR, Steve Beyer skypilot@coastalnet.com