Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:17:07 -0700
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cat causing heads to crack?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

At 10:54 AM 22/09/98 EDT, you wrote: >In a message dated 98-09-22 10:48:58 EDT, joe@GREENCASTLE.DYN.ML.ORG writes: > ><< I was talking to a auto parts shops owner in my local area and he told me > that the reason why my heads on my vanagon are developing small cracks, > to cause small coolant leaks, may be due to the storage and backflow of > heat from the cat? He suggested drilling a hole through the cat, through > the hcomb about an inch in diameter. I am willing to try this if it will > prolong the life of the heads. Is this an okay procedure to do? Any > responses appreciated! > >> > That's a new theory. I do not see how the cat can affect the cracks in the heads unless it is severely plugged. But even then you lower your energy output which in turn decreases temperatures. The cat is there for environmental purposes and it is up to your conscience to use it or not. In addition of course you need the appropriate reading of the oxygen sensor to give feedback to the computer for proper mixture. By the way cats are mandatory in Europe.

Cracks are most likely to occur through heat changes and vibration. If you drive short distances a lot then you put the engine through the stresses of heat changes. Also if your fuel mixture is not correct you can affect the heat in the heads. In addition check the mounting and bracing of your exhaust pipes. A missing brace can cause vibration at the head and create cracks.

Björn Ratjen

Mill Bay, B.C.

1987 Syncro Est Alia (self camperized) 1995 Passat TD (1982 Vanagon Diesel) 1979 VW Bus (self- camperized)