Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:08:48 -0400
From:         "James H. McCarthy" <jimhmc@MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Insulation
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

I recently followed the advice of several writers and bought some insulation. I purchases the foil type with air bubbles in the middle. It seemed like an easy thing to work with (and it is) and I had previously used it to wrap our cooler. I measured the widows (the canvas will come later) and cut with some excess. I want to just stuff the insulation against the windows and hope that the excess will serve to keep it fitting tightly. The goal was to get ready for cool weather camping. Last weekend we went camping, and I forgot to take the insulation sheets out. Glad I forgot. While parking our EVC in the sun, I decided to give the insulation a try. They fitted well; easy to install, and did not fall out of position. Came back a few hours later and found the interior not at all hotter than outside, which was probably in the '70s. Then after returning home I went on an errand and parked in the sun, with just the front of the car facing the sun. The fridge was off, and its door open, but the thermometer probe was still inside. After parking in the sun for a couple of hours with an outside temperature of perhaps 80 degrees Fahrenheit, I returned to find that the inside of the fridge/car was 110 degrees. With no insulation in the windows the EVC did get hotter inside than outside, which we've all known, but which I had never documented with a thermometer. So I'm going to use my 'winter' insulation all year long. Jim. Jim McCarthy ex '87 Westfalia '95 EuroVanCamper Somerville, MA