Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:06:35 -0700
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: Insulation
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

At 02:08 PM 24/09/98 -0400, you wrote: >I recently followed the advice of several writers and bought some >insulation. I purchases the foil type with air bubbles in the middle. ... There are two main types of bubble plastic: the clear stuff and the one with silver backing. The latter is better because it reflects the rays. If you want to cut down the heating of the interior through the sun then you have to block radiation. Aluminium is best, but curtains or paper will do too. You do not actually need insulation on the windows for this purpose. The metal of the car will provide heat too.

To keep heat inside the van for winter camping you will need insulating material. For the windows you can use bubble plastic (clear will do) and for the other spaces between the metal and the interior panels you can use either fiberglas material (which I would seal in small plastic bags) or styrofoam which has to be put in under tension to avoid squeeking through movement. The bubble plastic is good for insulating the tent of the pop-up roof.

In Germany there are actual double acrylic windows available for the vanagon (all the rear windows). They come in fixed, slider or vent type option. I actually brought them with me on a trip (as luggage wrapped in bubble plastic) and installed them. They work great, they insulate, they do not fog up easily and they are easy to install. They scratch a little easier, but I have one pair installed now for 20 years in my 78 Bus who has gone through hell and back and they are still fine. If there is sufficient interest one could organize an order...

Björn Ratjen

Mill Bay, B.C.

1987 Syncro Est Alia (self camperized) 1995 Passat TD (1982 Vanagon Diesel) 1979 VW Bus (self- camperized)