Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:14:36 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Fwd: Tip: Westy LP regulators

** Reply to message from David Griffin <DavidRGriffin@compuserve.com> on Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:25:00 -0400

The propane regulator for the reefer/stove was made by Marshall Brass (but no longer). It was rectangular and completely covered by a protective box. The new one is a little longer and resembles in profile a cookie attached to a moon pie. It has a snap-on cover which only covers one side of the low-pressure (moon pie) regulator. It's fine for BBQ use, but not protected enough for the van.

My solutions:

1) length -- no big deal, just bend the tubes going to the reefer and stove a little. I didn't use a bender, so the existing right-angle bends started to crimp a little, but not enough to matter. You only need an extra inch or so. The elegant way would be to remake the tubing ends where they attach to the tee fitting.

2) The regulator must be mounted with the vent facing down. This means that the snap-on cover faces the tank instead of the outside. I installed the cover to the regulator, then taped around the part of the cover which protects only three sides of the vent tube, using several layers of aluminum auto-body tape to close off the fourth side. I then caulked all around the edge of the cover with (vinyl, I think) caulking compound and installed the whole thing onto the tank. Remember that the regulator-to-tank connection is a POL fitting with a left-hand thread, just like older BBQ tanks. It's been on for a couple of years now in RI, minimal corrosion of the body tape. When it does get shaky, I'll just put on some more tape. Since the tape/caulk are exposed on the outside of the van, you can easily inspect it every time you fill the tank.

Nota bene:

1) I think that the regulator comes in two configurations, not sure. The one you want is long and straight, with the vent tube perpendicular to one side of the larger disk.

2) When you take off the old one, there may be some oil present. If so, it will have absorbed a lot of the perfume they put in the gas and will be *extremely* smelly. Don't drop any indoors or you'll be remembering it for a while... :)

3) You have to use a two-stage regulator, can't get away with the (cheaper and smaller) single-stage.

If I didn't explain anything well enough, just yell...

Regds david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3