Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:38:03 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: New adapter plate: DIY Engine Conversions
Comments: To: "ErikO@ebyte.com" <erikO@EBYTE.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 13:10 9/24/98 -0400, ErikO@ebyte.com wrote: >The only person I know of that has purchased a KEP plate is David >Marshall and if I recall correctly he said it was a work of art. Keep in >mind that it also comes with a flywheel and new imput shaft (am I >correct on this David?). It's also important to note that David ordered >his plate with the stock slant for the engine. He didn't have to worry >about deck lid clearance in the crew cab. I believe they also make one >that puts the engine at the stock diesel vanagon slant. That's what most >of us would need.

Work of art - YES! Fabulous! New input shaft no. This is the parts that I got: - Adapter plate - Flywheel (This is the HARD part to make) - Pilot bearing - Bolts (to fasten plate to engine and transmission) - Instruction book - Stickers and other advertising

>$500 for the KEP plate might be a little steep, but considering what >you're getting, it might not be a bad idea to fork over the cash to a >company that specializes in making adapter plates for VW's. Sure we >might be able to have them made for half that, but the union between the >engine and trans is pretty important, so you might be better off going >with a tested product. Plus, if they are including other parts to help >make it fit, like the flywheel, ect, then it might be worth the money. >However, if you come up with a good plate yourself, I have several great >machine shops I used to work with that could reproduce it. So I guess if >yours fits well and you're not blowing clutches, lets get some drawings.

The $500 is well worth it IMHO. No guess work, no screwing around. I took the kit to two local machine shops and they said it would be more economical to get KEP to make them.

>The eurospec conversion brags about the Hella wiring harness, which I >bet will appeal to alot of converters. It really wouldn't be too >difficult to go to an electrical supply outlet and buy a dozen spools of >color coded wire and make up your own. You could probably buy enough >wire for $100 to make up 20 or so new harnesses. Sell them for $30 or so >to pay for your time.

The wiring harness is simple to make. All the connectors are freely available and so is the wire. The computer boxes are also freely available. What I have done for my self and a friend is make a custom CIS with knock sensor harness. Basically it is CIS as found in the Rabbits with a CIS-E knock sensor installed in the mix. The wiring harness that I have made up terminates in 8 wires that connects to the Vanagon's system without cutting a thing. All gauges work and the engines run like a charm.

>If we can get Ron to track down new diesel oilpans and pickup tubes from >an overseas vendor that would solve that problem. It also would be easy >to have a competent machinest/welder to make up a batch of our own. One >benefit to this would be we could make some modifications that would >allow a "standard" oil pump to be used and perhaps change the shape to >make it fit amongst the syncro skidplates.

Why not redesign the skidplate. The skid plate on mine is OK for the inline four but it can be make a lot better.

>Intake and exhaust is a side issue with a lot of workarounds, we can >cross this bridge later. Personally I am beginning to think the CIS on >my van isn't the best route to go. I think it has a certain degree of >unreliability and I am almost certain that it isn't as fuel efficient as >other systems. I'm actually looking into the feasibility of going to a >Honda dual port injection system. Call me crazy. If I can make it fit >properly I'll give it a shot. All I'll be out if it doesn't work right >is an intake manifold, cheap. I don't want to go with one of the newer >VW systems because I just don't think that 4 "precision nozzles" can be >as efficient as one injector shooting into two ports. We'll see.

CIS is a wonder and efficient system. Digifant is horrible - ask any 88 to 92 Jetta / Golf owner. The motronic system on the 93+ Golfs and Jettas are an improvment over the CIS system but they are a lot more complicated to setup initially.

-- David Marshall Quesnel BC Canada mailto:david@volkswagen.org -- -- 73 Audi 100LS, 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy -- -- 87 Audi 5KQ, 85 1.8L VW Cabrio, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org --