Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:46:45 -0700
From:         Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>
Subject:      Re: Added fire protection over engine cover?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Adding fire retardant material above the engine cover is only a very temporary and localized delay of the inevitable. I would consider it to be a waste of money and effort. The heat that is produced in a car fire will bring many materials to their flash point. The fire will not stop because you have some padding somewhere. What about the side vents, what about the fuel tank (especially in a syncro), what about the electrical lines, the vents, the drain holes all the rubber gaskets etc. They will melt quick and open a path for the fire.

I have attended many car fires as a firefighter. Basically you either get the fire very quickly or the car is a write off. My advice is carry a good extinguisher and learn how to use it. Look in the archives for my long post about fire extinguishers. It was called fire extinguisher researched (long, firefighting info) I will send it to list members individually upon request.

What do you do if an electrical fire breaks out under the dash? The rear system will not do much until the fire has consumed the rest of the car.

The other important task is prevention. Check you engine and the rubber fuel lines regularly and exchange if necessary.

When it comes to dumping 8000 gallons onto a car fire, well, I do not like to knock on fellow fire fighters, but you could immerse the car into this amount of water provided there is a suitable container (which is usually lacking). Magnesium fires, i.e. the transmission has magnesium components, cannot be extinguished with water or common powder extinguishers. Magnesium fires will actually use the oxygen in water and create sparks and explosions when they come in contact with water.

The best available extinguishing agent for magnesium fires is dirt to smother it. If have been there and done that, i.e. when a used car dealer tried to help start an early 70s Bus by pouring gasoline into the carburetors only to spill enough to light up the whole car. We used water and foam for the car and a shovel with dirt for the transmission.

Well I could tell you many more stories, however, learn how to use an extinguisher, get good size one and be quick with common sense in a fire.

Björn

Björn Ratjen, Ph.D.

Canada ph/fax (250) 743-7575