Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:30:13 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: Added fire protection over engine c
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>Mike Jones wrote: >> >> Patrick - >> >> I didn't have have comprehensive coverage (mistake), so I got nothing from the >> insurance company on my fire. I sued the dealer who inspected the bus the day >> of the fire, the smog inspection people, the seller, and the mechanic who >> rebuilt the engine.

Now THIS scares me to think this is normal. I can see sueing the dealer who inspected the bus, because they did not notice something they were supposed to, and you were paying them for that service. I don't see how you could sue the mechanic, unless the fuel injection hose was explicitly requested as part of the engine rebuild, and the vehicle was yours when it was being repaired. I don't think the smog inspection people are related at all. Now the scarey part -- the seller. Most people do no maintenance on their vehicles, so when you buy a used one you have to assume that they haven't and you get it all done yourself. I don't see how you can hold the seller liable whether he or she knew about the potential problem or not. If you test drive a vehicle with no brake shoes, you fix them first or don't buy it. It is up to YOU to determine the value of the vehicle. This story scares me, because I might occasionally sell an older (but well maintained vehicle). But as a private individual, there is no warranty, expressed or implied. If that means no one will buy from me unless they know me as an honest person, well, fine. However, once I sign that title, its yours -- whether you choose to insure it or not.

Just my opinion, I am not a lawyer.

Michael Townsend townsend@rtp.ericsson.se