Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Sep 1998 02:15:45 EDT
From:         Jim Davis <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 78 vs 89 offroad
Comments: To: FBrit10468@aol.com, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-09-25 02:27:21 EDT, FBrit10468@AOL.COM writes:

> Some Friday business. I just bought an 89 Westy. I'm going to > take it to Moab tomorrow to see if it can go the places my 78 went > for the last ten years (got crunched about a month ago).

Have fun!

If you wan to see some 4x4 Vanagons at Moab look at: http://members.aol.com/syncrohead/SyncroSafari.html This page is admittedly out of date and I really have not updated it since the event last April. I've posted a few pictures at: http://members.aol.com/syncrohead/MoabVanagonPhotos.html Note that these are All-Wheel-Drive Vanagon Syncros, not a 2wd as you presumably have. Right now on the SyncroSafari email list we're discussing locations and dates for the 1999 Syncro Safari. If you'd like to participate, there are instructions on the "SyncroSafari" website to subscribe to the email list.

<snip>

> BTW, have those of you who have been to Moab seen the 23 > window Microbuses with the big ass rear tires (for sand) that > have been taking tourists to remote locations for many years?

There's a picture of these (maybe these - the ones I saw did not have big tires) at the "Miscellaneous Pictures" section at the "MoabVanagonPhotos" website shown above. The people at "Lin Ottenger's Land Tours" says they don't use them anymore though. One had a "For Sale" sign: "$3,999 999.85, FIRM". LOL!

> Another point of interest is Tom Tom's Volkswagen Museum. > It attained museum status when an ordinance was passed > making it illegal to operate junk yards in city limits. He has > bugs, splits, bays, vans, and is a rather interesting old fellow > himself. Likes to talk VW to people who stop in.

Meant to visit this place in April, but spent too much time off-road. :-)

Regards, Jim Davis 87 Gl Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg