Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:09:37 -0400
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine Fires - A/C vs. W/C - Any Difference?
Comments: To: Marty Wallace <martywallace@ROCKETMAIL.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

>It's always been my impression that engine fires have primarily been a >problem with air cooled VW buses/vans/Vanagons.

Old FI line is old FI regardless, ANY wasserboxer is now of sufficient age to warrant all the fuel line replaced. However the more common problem for aircooled Buses and Vanagons is the cutting through of the steel or rubber line where it goes through the firewall on the supply side. The rubber grommet typically is worn first then the line as Hoover once put it "by a dull hacksaw (the sheetmetal) but a hacksaw just the same." In this case VW did progress as the wasserboxers require no cooling sheet metal and VW finally went to a bulkead fitting on the firewall to pass the fuel. Caveat is the fitting is plastic and usually looks real, real bad. My favorite cynical saying from years in school with composite material, think of anything you ever had made of plastic, what happened to it. Anyone scientist or layman alike will say "It cracked," plastic cracks, steel rusts, hey its an imperfect world. In replacing the lines on a waterboxer I'd replace the fitting, it is not that expensive. I've wondered about the plastic ring main pieces that were once replaced under recall, but they seem to hold up. On air cooled the steel pieces often look horrid, sandblasting and zinc rich paint are a must. Any way round as people on this list should well know, this is serious business regardless of the year, just because the origional German stuff is of exceptionl quality and can last 20 years doesn't mean you should try your luck. And the most common overlooked replacement, the 2" sections of line on each injector, they need replaced as well, you must cut the factory crimped clamp off the injector at an angle with a dremel and wheel, then pull off the hose and replace with regular clamps. Good German smooth or cloth covered line depending on your beliefs, or a true American FI rated equivalent (Aeroquip has a nice product) but chances are a couple meters from Bus Depot or wherever will be the best price. For clamps I rec a good marine grade full stainless product, McMaster-Carr sells them about $6/box of 10, will take 2-3 boxes depending on year.

John janderson@iolinc.net