Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:11:56 -0400
From:         David Bogle / Architecture <bogle@BWAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: How tall is a syncro?+garage paint
Comments: To: Gary Kovach <dearbo@EROLS.COM>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Gary Kovach wrote:

> How tall is a Westy and a Syncro? I'm building a new garage and want to > put in a garage door that can accomodate future > purchases :) Also, does anyone know the name of a paint for garage > floors that's oil resistant. I believe they use it in airplane hangers > but can't remember the name.

According to "Jim Davis's Model Summaries" at www.vanagon.com an '87 Syncro Westy is 80.9 inches or 2.05 meters tall. Is that what you were asking? Anyway, they are all there for the curious. I have not measured mine. Of course, if you have the 15" wheels and a ??? tire it will be ___ inches tall....

Regarding the "paint" used in airplane hangars: its probably an epoxy coating, similar to that used in parking garages (mainly to prevent road salt from leaching into the concrete and rusting its reinforcing steel.) You might find a Benjamin Moore dealer who will order their Epoxy Ester Gloss Enamel, product M25, an "industrial maintenance coating." This product is "designed to provide increased resistance to animal fat, oils, diluted acids and alkalies." At the specified 350 s.f. per gallon spread rate it will yield a 2.0 mils film thickness. This product may not be used in the San Joaquin Valley, and you should check the local laws for it's VOC compliance. BM also makes an alkyd (oil based) Porch and Floor Enamel, product 112, which may be sufficient, and it is designed for 600 s.f. per gallon application for a 1.3 mils dry film thickness. This one's not legal in San Joaquin, Los Angeles or Maricopa County, AZ.

No, I don't work for Benjamin Moore, but I'm an architect and they make good products. I wish I had a garage floor to paint. -- David Bogle Brooklyn

'72 Campmobile 2.0L (For Sale) '87 Vanagon GL Syncro Westfalia