Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:07:48 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Calif. Emissions equipment?
Comments: To: Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

This really depends on the year you are after. There are no differences (read _none_) between all North American Vanagons from 1986 on. Even my Canadian-origin Doublecab has the California emmissions stuff (well, there are no California emmissions stuff, so it has it all...).

This is not true either for the earlier Vanagons of the later Eurovans, though. I do not think there is much difference, possibly none for any waterboxer, but the airboxers are different. IMHO, the 1980 *California* model is the best, with the O2 sensor closed-loop injection (like the early waterboxers) and no EGR. EGR was added to California vehicles in 1981, along with the better fuel injection. All of the California air-cooleds have a different exhaust setup, and parts are non-existant.

East Coast buses are far cheaper. The reason is not the emissions, but the fact that they rust. Some parts of California have rust, too, but typically California, Arizona and New Mexican buses are really rust-free, and this should command a premium. When folks in the east say "no rust" it is relative. Vanagons are not too bad in this regard -- but having examples from all over, I will say that it is easy to tell the California ones.

California requires the "smog impact fee" to be paid for a non-California-spec car registering from out-of-state. The requirement is that the yellow emissions sticker (on the oil door in most Vanagons) state specifically that it meets California emmissions. I have two Canadian vehicles, both have stickers like this, and both are "Transporters" and models never sold in the US, let alone California. It took the DMV some time to accept these (they assumed I simply changed the stickers) but I got a letter from VW specifically stating that they met CARB requirements and were not affected by the fee. The Canadian buses do _not_ have the OXS light, and oddly there is no requirement that it be retrofitted (they require changing the brake warning light). Might be an oversight.

Malcolm

At 11:01 AM 9/22/98 , Jim Fritz wrote: > > Friends, > After a recent posting asking about buying a California Westy and shipping it > back to Iowa, I had conflicting reports about doing this because some said it > was a bad idea due to all of the Emissions equipment on it. They said it was > a pain to keep tuned properly because of this. Others said that the Vanagon > was able to pass CA emissions standards without any additional equipment. > Which one is it? I may still look in California for another vehicle and would > like the low-down. > Jim > 319-382-3705 > jfritz@decorah.k12.ia.us