Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:43:17 -0700
From:         Robert Williams <williams@MTEST.TERADYNE.COM>
Subject:      Re: head electrolysis cure?
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com, mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM

Mark,

A sacrificial anode needs to be a block of metal electrically connected to the metal you are trying to protect. So I do not think metal disolved in the coolant would do what you want. The anode will end up as a disolved salt in the coolant when it is corroded instead of the metal you are protecting. In essence you are creating a battery with the 2 different metals and the electrolite (Autobahn, etc.) For protection to occur, there must be an electrical connection between the 2 metals.

Bob