Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 1998 10:05:30 -0400
From:         DSTEVENS <DSTEVENS@LAUBACH.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [VWDIESEL] Parts Wanted
Comments: To: Matt <meatbee@DCONN.COM>,
          diesel list <VWDIESEL@PAS-NT.PAS.ROCHESTER.EDU>,
          "vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

WELL YOU CAN JUST BOLT ON A TURBO BUT KEEP IN MIND THE OVERALL IMPELLER SIZE , NOT ONE FROM A 3.8T BUICK OR SUCH BUT IT HAS TO FLOW ABOUT THE SAME DISPLACEMENT GIVE OR TAKE A LITTLE. ONE FOR A LARGER ENGINE WILL TAKE LONGER TO PRODUCE BOOST AND WIND DOWN SLOWER( GIVING A DRIFTING FEELING WHEN RELEASING THE THROTTLE) BUT YOU DON'T WANT ONE TO SMALL DISPLACEMENT FOR IT WILL WIND UP QUICKER BUT YOU COULD EXCEED THE IMPELLER'S MAX RPM BY PUSHING TOO MUCH AIR THROUGH IT.

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING A "SPEARCO" AFTER MARKET SET-UP IN MY QTD FOR THE P.O CRACKED THE ORIGINAL HEAD. THIS WAS MADE IN THE EARLY 80'S FOR DASHERS AND IT USE'S A JAPANESE "IHI" TURBO I BELIEVE IS FROM A SMALL FORKLIFT OR SUCH. IT'S IMPELLER IS SMALLER THAN THE STOCK VW TURBO ( HOPEFULLY GIVIN IT QUICKER RESPONSE) THE FACTORY VW TURBO DOES MAKE QUITE A DIFFERENCE ON MY QTD, ALLOWING THE LOCAL GOV'T TO PROFIT FROM MY EXCESS. ( MOST NOTICABLY ON LARGE HILLS < JUST COULDN'T BRING MYSELF TO THROTTLE BACK>) BUT 2 THINGS ARE IMPORTANT DRIVE WITH CONSIDERATION OF WHAT YOUR DOING AND IT NEEDS PLENTY OF OIL (IN&OUT) AND NO RESTRICTIONS ( INTAKE OR EXHAUST)

LIVE LONG AND DRIVE SAFE. DAN STEVENS (RED BUG) SYR NY >---------- >From: Matt[SMTP:meatbee@DCONN.COM] >Sent: Sunday, October 04, 1998 2:03 PM >To: VWDIESEL@PAS-NT.PAS.ROCHESTER.EDU >Subject: [VWDIESEL] Parts Wanted > >Hi everybody, > >I am glad to be joining the family of VW diesel owners with my recent >purchase of an '82 diesel westy. I think it was a good deal for only 200 >bucks. The exterior and interior are in immaculate condition. The engine is >in need of some minor repairs which may becime major now. The original owner >stopped driving it when the alternator bracket broke and he couldn't find a >replacement for it. He doesn't own a computer though. He also did some >modifications to this engine that I am trying to unmodify. He must have >wanted a turbo engine and couldn't afford the whole thing. So he bolted on a >turbo to his stock engine by adding turbo intake and exhaust manifolds, and >heavily modifying the exhaust system. While I admit that having a turbo >engine in this vehicle does have a certain appeal, everyone that I've spoken >to says that doing it that way is a very bad idea. Opinions anyone? > >To get this running again I am looking for 1) alternator bracket. 2) intake >and exhaust manifolds for stock diesel. 3) muffler and exhust system for 82 >diesel Vanagon. And 4) some help from others who have been through something >like this before. > >If anybody out there has a parts Vanagon or knows of places that would have >hard to find diesel parts let me know. > >Matt Brown >meatbee@dconn.com > >'82 diesel Westy >'70 Type II >'71 Bug > >P.S. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't received anything from the mailing >list for about a week now. Hope this works. >