Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Oct 1998 13:37:20 -0700
From:         Rich <rdunsheath@AKAMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: brake reservoir leak
Comments: To: S_J_ WACKER <s_j_wacker@JUNO.COM>
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

SJ,

I did this not long ago on an 82 Vanagon.

Not too difficult. I can't remember if I even looked at the Bentley to fix this.

I bought a master cylinder from Ron at Bus Depot for about $90.

To do the repair:

Reach back and put your fingers in the recesses in the back of the instrument cover and squeeze until it releases and then tip it back towards yourself.

Brake fluid is nasty stuff, I dislike it almost as much as I dislike antifreeze. You will get the stuff everywhere, but try to keep it off the paint because it will remove paint. I think you can use like damp rags to wipe up what you wind up spilling. I think I read that you should use a turkey baster to suck out the brake fluid from the reservoir. I didn't have a turkey baster handy so I just slopped more of it around everywhere.

The reservoir just sits in the master cylinder held in place by rubber grommets, so you just wiggle it out of the mater cylinder.

The are a couple of switches connected to the cylinder, just wiggle them off too. Then just unbolt everything that unbolts and pull the works out of the van.

I cleaned out the reservoir with new brake fluid then fitted it to the new master cylinder. Installation is the reverse of removal. It is a little tight in the dash area, but the whole job is not very difficult and it doesn't take long. The book talks about doing a bench bleed, which I interpreted as meaning to pour a little fluid into the master cylinder and work the piston that pumps the fluid. The fluid goes everywhere and I didn't worry too much about doing this real well.

I bought Castrol super duper brake fluid and the regular DOT 3 stuff. I used the DOT 3 to flush out the old brake fluid and switched over to the more expensive Castrol after the bleeding showed the fluid running clear.

Bleeding the system is a pain in the neck because everything is under the van and the wheels get in the way. As I recall, you start at the wheel that is furthest from the MS, i.e. passenger rear, and work your way to the wheel closest to the MS. I bought a cheap little bleed kit and threw it all away except for the little one way valve. The valve I put on the end of a section of hose about 2' long. I made up a little deal with a soda bottle where you cut a hole in the cap just big enough for the hose to go through. Then you put a little brake fluid in the bottom of the bottle, enough to cover the end of the hose. Make sure you use a clear bottle so you can see how much fluid is in the bottle and you can tell when the air bubbles and old dark fluid stop coming out and nothing but new clear fluid is coming out of the brake line.

When that happens you are done with that wheel and you just tighten up the bleeder valve, replace the rubber cap and move on to the next wheel.

You need to have someone pump the brake pedal when you give them the word. What you do is loosen the bleeder valve with a little box wrench, then push the rubber hose over the nipple of the bleeder valve. I leave the box wrench on the valve nut while I bleed. When you are ready, have the the person working the brakes pump the brakes two or three times and then keep pressure on the brake pedal. While they keep pressure on the pedal, you then open the valve a half turn or so. The person working the brake should then push the brake to the floor and once they get the pedal to the floor, they keep it there until you can tighten up on the nut. When you get the valve closed, you yell to them to let up on the brake. Then you just keep repeating this process until you get sick of doing it and say to hell with it. You should also bleed the clutch slave cylinder at the same time because it works off the same reservoir. My clutch was working find and I didn't feel like with fighting with anymore bleeder valves so I skipped this step. I'll bleed that sucker when I have to replace it or when I have to do some other clutch work.

In my case, one of the rear wheel cylinders was leaking as well so I replaced them. $9 from the Bus Depot.

Good luck.

BTW, I think that the archives are back up and I found lots of information on how to do the job on the archives, including a post about how to make a nice little bleeder system jar. I made my jar out of a evan water bottle and it wanted to tip over all the time. I think a short squat glass jar would work better. Also, the article mentions attaching a short section of tube or a peg or something so that you have a place to put the end of the hose that goes on the nipple, betweeen bleeding. This is a good idea because I didn't have anywhere to stick the free end of the hose and it wound up slipping and hanging down and when what happens it starts to siphon blake fluid back out of the jar.

S_J_ WACKER wrote: > > I know this is discussed on a regular basis, but I can't access the > archives. The reservoir behind the instrument cluster is empty and there > is a drip at the bottom of the clutch master cylinder, but it hasn't > stained the carpet so I'm not sure if I need to replace/rebuild anything. > At any rate I want to check it out and replace the brake fluid and the > Bentley seems to be devoid of any information on how to service the > reservoir and master cylinder. > > Thanks > > Steve and Jo Ann Wacker > San Marcos, Ca. > 90 Carat > 86 Syncro x two > 86 Audi 5000 CS Quattro > --------- End forwarded message ---------- > > ___________________________________________________________________ > You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. > Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com > Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

--

Regards,

Bryan, TX (1 hour north of Houston, 3 hours east of San Antonio, 3 hours south of Dallas. Near Texas A&M)

1982 Vanagon Santa Maria (Mary) 1982 Vanagon San Diego (Sandy) 1987 Maroon Vanagon Aggie