Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Oct 1998 23:29:19 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Westy, Food, Bears
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

> Man what a life that must have been! Do you still do any kind >of outdoor work ? Is this your purpose to a Vanagon? > Naw,I'm a computer geek these days. I have lots of Vanagons -- I like 'em.

> In scouts they taught us to put food in a bear bag, in the trees! >Has anyone thought of this? > Lots'o'stories. Basically, you have to be _very_ clever hanging food from trees to fool a Yosemite bear. The park issues a pamphlet, and you must faithfully follow every word to be safe. It is so bad that even many popular backcountry sites have boxes, and many backpackers carry bear "safes" -- basically a big chunk of 8" PVC pipe with caps on the ends. The old joke was that finding a suitable tree was the real challenge of backpacking in Yosemite. Yes, you can hang food with some assurance, but locking it up OUT OF SIGHT in your car might be simpler. Bear boxes are best. Of course, the Ahwahnee serves good chow, so you should just plan on eating out in Yosemite (^;

While it is not a bus story, there's an old tale of a Yosemite bear that specialized in VW's. Long ago, every second car was a beetle, and most of the backpacking population was college kids who owned one. Along the Tioga road, on any given weekend there were dozens of beetles parked while their owners communed with ol' Mother N.

Now, old Beetles were pretty airtight (remember the Nat'l Lampoon ad?) and a bear figured out an interesting side effect. If you weigh five hundred pounds, and you energetically hop up'n'down on the top on the top of one, the doors will magically pop open! Some fun! Each itinerant hippy-walker had wisely left a big stash of food 'cause they was going to be powerful hungry when they got off the trail. This clever bear appreciated every bit of it, too!

I don't know that this is a true story, but folks that tell it swear it is. Old VWs were spared the marmot-backpacker's-parking-nightmare, but got their own nightmare. Us Vanagoner's with waterboxers get both, I'd guess, bears and marmots to spoil our commune...

Malcolm H.