Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:34:26 -0600
From:         Jonathan Nowaczek <Jonathan.Nowaczek@NETALLIANCE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas tank leaks (LONG)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Sorry to hear that your vehicle has the DISEASE; my '82 Westfalia is on it's THIRD gas tank. IMHO, the gas tank is one of the major weak spots in the design of these vehicles. Maybe I can save you some of the hassles I experienced.

First, the job of changing out the tank is covered in a procedure somewhere in the Archives. If you can't find it, I have a paper copy somewhere. It's a job that's not at all technically difficult, but is a filthy, nasty job. For example, You can drain all but about the last half-gallon of gas from the tank; this last bit is sure to spill all over you as you get the tank out. Remember: Gasoline burns fast and well. Don't take any chances - Disconnect the battery ground strap, keep all sources of ignition away, and have an assistant nearby with an appropriately sized and rated fire extinguisher.

As you may have already found, new tanks from the VW dealer are incredibly expensive (~$495 or MORE). Also, the new tanks are available ONLY with the 1 7/8" filler neck, which may require you to purchase additional parts if your vehicle was originally equipped with the 2 1/2" filler pipe. There were several design changes over the years - same basic tank design from '80-'91, but two different filler pipes, and a couple minor variations on filler neck venting.

Replacing ALL of the seals (there are 4: three for vents, one for filler neck) is a MUST. While the tank is out, it's also a good opportunity to see if any of the vent hoses or clamps need replacement due to cracking, corrosion, etc. It's an amazingly complicated design. It's also an excellent time to replace the fuel sender, if yours has been giving any trouble. BE CAREFUL - this is also a prime spot for leaks to develop, and you won't find out until you've got the whole thing back in the vehicle with a tank full of gas. The senders are plastic, and can easily be cracked with the force it takes to get it to seat properly. Liberal graphite lubricant helps here. VW specs a special tool for removing/installing the sender; you can make a makeshift one out of plastic or wood - make sure you use something WEAKER than the plastic of the sender. Remember to ALWAYS replace the o-ring seal any time the sender is removed.

BEWARE of rebuilt/remanufactured tanks. There are internal pipes leading to a central sump (one for feed to fuel pump, one return from engine), and these can easily be plugged with the materials that are commonly used to seal the tank interiors. There also seems to be huge variability in performance of the sealing products. I purchased one tank that was rebuilt with a two year warranty; was coated inside with a reddish rubbery compound, outside with a black plastic resin (called '414' I think?). External compound separates from the metal, internal material peels out. Started leaking one month after the warranty was out...

My latest experiment is with an outfit called Gas Tank Re-Nu. Their price was reasonable; they're nationwide, and they offer a _lifetime_ warranty. Their process looks good, using polymer compounds developed by/for the military that are baked at 400 degrees to cure. Resulting rebuilt tank really looks durable. Just put one of these in my vehicle this summer - I'll update the list on how it performs.

Lastly: Do yourself a favor and put some anti-seize compound on the bolts that hold the tank carrier rails to the frame. Chances are you WILL do this AGAIN, and you don't want to have to struggle with those frozen/rusted bolts again.

Best of luck. - Jon