Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Oct 1998 22:11:42 -0700
From:         Marty Wallace <martywallace@ROCKETMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '85 Westy
Comments: To: dchaz@GTE.NET
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi, David-

IMHO: I would JUMP on this vehicle for $4k.

I just bought a 1984 Westy (122,000 miles) this year for $6,000 even. It's in pretty good condition and has A/C. There was another '84 Westy in this area at that time with an asking price of $7,500. The Kelley Blue Book retail price was right around $7k.

Yes, there CAN be MAJOR problems with heads and cooling in the 83.5-85 Vanagons (and later models, too, huh?). However, they CAN be fixed! In my case the P.O. had already done the major stuff: new heads and a COMPLETELY new cooling system (down to the radiator). This work was expensive: about $2k-$3k (at a VW dealer). However, even if you pay the $4,000 asking price, then have $2,000 worth of work done (NOT at a dealership), you've "only" invested about $6k in an 85 Westy that you will KNOW is in pretty good shape mechanically. I would bet that the KBB retail value is in the neighborhood of $8k.

Having said all this, I would STILL have a reputable mechanic give it a once-over (maybe $75 to $100, but a darn good investment).

Good luck! Let us all know how this turns out for you.

Marty Wallace (1984 Westfalia "Heisenberg") Chico, California

----------(original message)------------ I am looking at a 1985 Vanagon Westy, approx. 98k miles. Body is in good shape with only one ding on the rear hatch and a missing cover for the outside power plug. Everything seems to be in good order with the exception of the sink faucet. (CO replaced a broken one with a sink spray nozzle and a switch) No tell-tale signs of leaking antifreeze, but when I looked at it, the coolant overflow tank was dry. Engine is really dirty, but this is West Texas and dust is our thing. Interior is in great shape, and the A/C blows cold. I haven't had time to test drive it yet.

Is there anything special I need to know about the 85's? I read all the posts about leaking heads, etc. and I am a little gun-shy about a water-cooled. Too many years driving air-cooled VW's I guess. I would really love to "upgrade" to a newer Vanagon with heat and A/C, but I'm concerned about the cost of repairs.

The guy (2nd owner) is only asking $4k for it. What should I look for?