Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Oct 1998 09:26:59 -0400
From:         Lawrence Johnson <ljohnson@HALHINET.ON.CA>
Subject:      Re: idle surge diagnosis?
Comments: To: DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>,
          Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

David, we too have this problem. I think that the idle stabilizer is sticking on the central shaft. The shaft is probably worn from constant movement around the idle position. When the engine needs to rev higher - when cold or when the A/C is on - then the stabilizer is holding the valve open wider, outside of the worn zone, and isn't sticking. To test your IS valve, try spraying a small amount of fine oil into the air intake of the IS valve (engine off) and see if the symptoms change. Larry