Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:12:21 -0700
From:         Vanman <mckayaa@OIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 87 Vanagon temperature light
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Try checking you expansion tank water level (the one that you cannot see from your lisence plate). In the 83 1/2 - 85 vanagons there is a water level sensor and if the level drops below that, then the temp warning light would flash, regardless of temp (helps when a hose blows while the engine is still cold. This happened while driving my date for homecoming back to her place). Just because the overflow tank, the one that you can see from the lisence plate, has water in it does not mean that there is water in the expansion tank. It will also flash when the engine over heats. I imagine that it is the same way with the 86-91 vanagons. It will also flash for a moment after startup some times. Also, if the van's cooling system was worked on recently, then the mechanic may not have bled the cooling system properly, and air could displace the water in the expansion tank, driving down the level, and then the overflow tank would fill it back up, resulting in the light flashing sporadically.

mckayaa@oit.edu college student in mechanical engineering at Oregon Institute of Technology '85 vanagon GL -----Original Message----- From: Bebe <jjohnston@EARTHLINK.NET> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Saturday, October 10, 1998 10:01 AM Subject: 87 Vanagon temperature light