Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 1998 18:32:59 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      "Gunky" blower assembly
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Earlier I posted a message requesting help on changing out the blower motor on my 83.5 Westy. Thanks for all the help to those who responded. I found a junk yard with an 85 Vanagon and pulled the motor from that. The guy sold me the entire assembly (the motor and all the "stuff" around it; box with the vent controls etc.) for $25. I had to pull the thing myself so I got to practice on their van before I did mine. Blower works fine on my battery but the assembly is full of a fairly thick and hasty layer of dust inside and out that simply HAS to be cleaned. Outside is no problem but inside might be. I want to use the new assembly if, as I suspect, it is in better shape than the one I have now. I know I can take it apart to clean it out but I would like to avoid breaking those welds if I can.

Does anyone know if there will be any harm done if I simply clean the inside out with "Simple Green" followed by the garden hose? I would be careful to avoid the motor itself and I figure any accidential splashing would be fixed with a liberal dousing of electronic cleaner. Does this sound reasonable or am I setting myself up for another fried blower?

I would also like to give the motor a shot of lubricant before installing it. Can anyone recommend a LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG lasting lube sutable for the bearings?

Again, any ideas would be appreciated