Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 1998 20:54:08 -0700
From:         KBatzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 Vanagon A/C
Comments: To: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU> To: KBatzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM> Date: Saturday, October 10, 1998 5:27 PM Subject: Re: 84 Vanagon A/C

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998 16:42:12 -0700 you said: >My question of the day (and I will have many soon) is when I am >using my a/c on a very hot day (we get many days over 115F for=20 >three months), the compressor clutch comes on with the thermostat. >but when the raditor fan goes into high speed, it cuts out the = >compressor >until the low speed resumes again. This can be very frustrating as=20 You said: there is a HIGH pressure switch on your compressor somewhere ...it's likely failing, or the pressure really is getting too high (which means that something down the line from the switch is restricting the flow ... like the expansion valve has died). anyway, that switch cuts the compressor OFF if the pressure in the system gets too high. that sounds kinda like what you're describing. :(

>the inside of the van will reach 100F in no time flat! I can find ab-

tint, tint, tint!!!! :) and also put about 8" of tint across the top of the windshield (one piece won't work ... it crinkles. you'll have to make two pieces that meet in the middle, behind the rearview mirror). this REALLY helps give you some "sunglasses" when you are driving INTO the sun, like early in the morning or late in the afternoon. :)

good luck!! joel

You may be right about the TX valve, but I traced every inch of the line and I can't find any pressure switches ( I think that the later models do have switches at the condenser. I also hear a buzzing noise when the compressor is running (coming form the condenser) could there be a block? The hotter it gets, the louder the noise is. I live in the Palm Springs area and it gets damn hot here. When I go to work, my poor bus has to sit in the sun all day... by the time I go home, it's blistering in there ( and opening the windows for venting is useless because at 5pm it's still over 110F outside). Any Ideas? Thanks for the advice. Karl BTW: I bought the van with the windows nicely tinted, thanks

[text/html]