Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 1998 21:30:24 -0700
From:         Randy Huyck <Fritz_H@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      85 Vanagon No Heat
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I've had my '85 Vanagon GL for four years now, and continue to be baffled by the heating system. The first year we owned the van, we had little heat, but I noticed that the temp gauge dropped at highway speed and replaced the thermostat pronto. We then had heat for another year and a half, then the heat disappeared again. Thermostat is working fine, I've bled the radiator MANY times, and it's got a new water pump.

I've flushed the system a few times, run water through the front heater core to flush it out, all to no avail. My latest experiment was to tape over most of the fresh air intake behind the grille to keep the core from being flooded with too much cold air. Not much improvement.

Here's the tricky part - some days it heats just great, other days nothing. This problem is not predictable. On the "no-heat" days, I do manage a trickle of warm air from the rear core, on "heat" days, both heaters work OK.

Early October in western Washington isn't cold, so if I'm unhappy with my heat now, I know I'm going to be even less happy in January. Any info would be greatly appreciated. The best I've found so far is a post in the archives from 1995 that recommends flushing the cores with boiling caustic solution. I'm not sure I'm prepared for that!

TIA,

Randy, Carla & Anna Huyck '75 Westy (waiting for an engine, then I can try the Eberspacher!) '79 Mercedes 300D '85 Vanagon '90 Fox