Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:55:44 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Speed Adjustment - 1988 GL
Comments: To: David Bogle / Architecture <bogle@BWAY.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>> As suggested by some, I should unplug two leads and plug them together to >> bypass the IS. That doesn't work here per the fixed plug discussion above. >> Right -- this suggestion is for the spark controlled idle stbilization of the old Digijet.

>> To follow the prescribed procedure, I need to disconnect the "Idle >> Stabilizer Control Valve Connector". I know this would disable the solenoid >> , allowing for adjustment of the idle screw to have the proper effect. I >> have been unable to find/identify that connector. Seems simple enough from >> the picture, but it eludes me. >> It is on the end of the idle stabilizer control valve (the solenoid air valve). It is a plug fitting just like the injector plug, I think. (I'm doing this all from faulty old memory).

>> I would think that one of the wires to the solenoid is ground and the other >> power, with the power side having the disconnect and when connected being >> connected to the control box at some point. >> Are you sure you have the right unit? There are two air hose going to this unit, one from each side of the thottle valve. Actually, on one of my buses, my idle stab control unit was toast, and I have not replaced it. I just set the idle a bit higher -- it even passed California smog this way. This bus is a Syncro Kombi, though, with no engine-dirven stuff like A/C or power steering, which are the main things that screw up the idle (and the main signals to the control unit).

>> I am sure open to suggestions on this one. >> >> Thanks, >> >> John Rodgers >> '88 GL Driver. >> >> -- > >Hello John and all, > >My '87 syncro westy has the configuration described by you, John, and not the >other set up that Malcolm Holser and Johan Nyberg have. > I have four running T3's -- a Syncro Kombi, a Vanagon GL, a Westy and a Syncro Doublecab. Only the Westy -- a 1980 model -- has the Digijet with the spark-stabilization. The others are NA spec Digifants.

> Is this the $210 item (025 906 457A ) >for sale at the BusDepot (and elsewhere I'm sure)? Or is that the "idle >stabilizer valve?" If so, where can you get the control unit? > Hmmm. The unit I've got in my hand (the control unit itself) is part number 251-907-393B. I think this unit is replaced under a recall with a -D revision, but again this is from often-faulty-memory. Are you sure you got the right number?

Yeah, Ron sells these for about $100. Like I said, I have not felt compelled to replace the broken one I have, but maybe your situation is different. I'd never heard of a non-power-steering syncro until I got my Kombi. My engine has the odd single-pulley, even. So you might have to replace yours. If anybody out there knows of a good reason for me to spring the bucks for this puppy, let me know.

Malcolm H.