Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:51:57 -0400
From:         Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>
Subject:      steering relay gear
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Does anyone out there know of a cheap source for a steering relay gear for and '85 GL. Dealer wants an outrageous amount, Bus Depot about the same. Actually if anyone is parting out a dead bus I'd be interested. As long as there is no click/clunk/crunch noise or freeplay in the steering wheel when turned back and forth with the van stationary I'll buy your old part.

The imported Haynes manual says this part is non repairable but can be lubricated. Has anyone ever tried to disassemble or repair one of these? Bentley doesn't even cover the part except as part of a steering system components drawing.

Well as usual I welcome everyone's suggestions and tips. This makes my earlier search for a good VW junkyard even more relevant.

Thanks, Mark