Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:42:45 -0700
From:         mac stricklen <mac_stricklen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bike Racks-which one is best?
Comments: To: "W. Silva" <wsilva@CAPECOD.NET>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

"W. Silva" <wsilva@CAPECOD.NET> wrote: > > We are looking for a bike rack for our '85 Westy that will attach to the > tow hitch (hole?) and can carry two bicycles and hopefully be able to swing > (somehow) out of the way so that the rear hatch ('85-full hatch) can be > opened without removing the bikes and will NOT block the brake lights in > any way. Are we looking for the impossible?

I have recently purchased a Westy and am an avid cyclist. One of my main bikes is a Klein Mantra, which since it has a very unconventional frame design, normal "hang 'em by the top tube" trunk rack's won't work. I too, want many of the things that you want from a rack so I've decided to try the Draftmaster (http://www.draftmaster.com) It holds the bikes in a sort of "vertical roof rack" that extends up from trailer hitch. It can hold 3-5 bikes including the option of tandems (another thing I need). It swings away with the pull of a pin. In normal mode, I don't think it goes far enough to clear the unusually long lift gate on a vanagon, but they also sell an extender, which I'm going to try. With this set up , I think it will open not all the way, but at least far enough to duck under and get stuff out or get to the engine.

> Also, does anyone know anything about the "automatic shifting" 5 speed > bikes-they shift by weighted derailures. We would be doing mostly level > riding on paved roads, no off road stuff.

One of the people that I work with recently bought one of these and I assembled and test rode it for her. I think it is a great bike for people who don't really want to be riding a bike--at least not as their primary focus. In other words, if your main interest is in getting outside and being active, or going somewhere or sight seeing (all noble enought things) then this is a good bike. If you specifically want a "cycling" experience, then this might not be the best bike to have.

just my $.02, though.

mac (self admitted bike snob)