Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:19:01 +0200
From:         Helmut Zeidler <Helmut_Zeidler@NOTESMAIL.NOKIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Audi 5 cyl engine swap experiences?
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Hello Tom,

do you read German? Than I may point you to some German pages.

You should visit my web site, which is still under construction: http://www.relitech.com/helmut If you already got the catalog from Detlev (not Detlef?) you may recodnized, that the parts are delivered by Winkler, Germany. The basics are made by Volkswagen South Africa, like bellhousing, engine support etc. You may miss some parts to be pictured on my web site, but I had the chance to take some photos two weeks ago, and they will be posted as soon as possible. But I may send you the scans in advance. If you like to go a cheap way, order parts in South Africa, do it in the easy way, order locally.

But do not implement the 5 cylinder TDI: 1) The auto gearbox would not take the torque, maximum power should not exceed about 120 hp. 2) The bellhousing for the 5 cylinder conversion does not fit auto gearboxes. [3) It isn't available in US :-(( ]

The only choice you have to upgrade the engine is, to order the housing for the Diesel to automatic gearbox in Germany and get a 4 in line into your van. Or swap to a manual gearbox. But than you should buy an original 5 speed box from South Africa, which already comes with the right bellhousing.

Any comments?

Helmut '80 Vanagaudi