Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:50:01 -0700
From:         Patty Ciesla <imahorse@LELAND.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject:      84 GL "Adventurewagon" advice sought
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hello,

I'm a new subscriber to this list; I was advised to join and request help from folks more knowledgable than my friends and family regarding my vanagon. I am only marginally mechanical. A 72 bug was my transport for many years and I understood most of its simple parts... but this car is beyond me.

I inherited this 84 GL Adventurewagon a few months ago. My father had been using it occasionally after my mother died (it was her car). The interior has many charming custom features installed by mom and is overall a great camper. It's rather used, with some dents, rust, rough spots interior, etc. It has 178k and until last week no real problems with the original engine (except burning oil as you'd expect). The car has a one-inch thick set of records from repairs and maintenance over the years and has endured many continent-spanning trips.

The interior lights and elec. to the fridge do not work due to the "AC system" being disconnected some time ago after constant problems, dead batteries etc. I don't understand this part of the car at all and haven't pursued a fix (my local mechanic won't work on this part of the camper). I'm a student and can't afford to sink much into it right now. Mostly I ride a bike for transport.

On a trip last week, I noticed a large amount of coolant had leaked out while we were camped. In attempting to drive to a payphone (4 country miles) the car overheated immediately and several stops were required to get to town. A kind local man crawled under, removed a shroud, and determined that the leak is coming from between the case and head. We were able to fill the upper reservoir and get most of the air out of the hoses, but I decided I was unwilling to risk further travel (over a small pass) given the rate of leakage and caught a ride with a fellow camper home, leaving the car about 50 miles from the alleged nearest VW mechanic.

I assume I'm looking at having to replace this engine, since if the head gasket is blown, there's not much point in doing expensive gasket work to a 178k engine that burns oil. I also assume the leak is where he said it is, and not further away (coolant dripping from below, top of the engine compartment dry, no obvious hose problems). Am I correct in making these assumptions?

Does anyone have recommendations for a Vanagon savvy mechanic in Paso Robles (near the car) or Stanford (where I'm at) California? Any idea what it should cost to rebuild or replace this engine?

Is there some magic way to safely drive with this problem? If I can't afford to fix the car, or have it towed back here (about 200 miles) I might be inclined to sell. What is the approximate value of the car with such an engine problem?

Any feedback or suggestions appreciated.

Patty Ciesla