Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:45:02 -0400
From:         Gary Thaxter <gthaxter@DGTDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      how old are syncros?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I was talking to a fellow the other day and mentioned I had a 4 wheel drive VW. Instead of being surprised, the fellow said that he knew of a man that had one. He said that a dealer owned it as his personal vehicle, then sold it after getting in an accident with it. The old fellow bought it and did the body work and had been driving it up until when he died about a year back.

The curious part is that the fellow swears that the old man bought it in 1982. He is trying to find out if the family still has it.

I know that we didn't get syncros in north america until 86, but I think I read something about syncros built in 1979? It was in a book called "Das Buch". It was a kind of factory yearbook that was put out for VW factory employees. A german friend of mine showed it to me, but I cannot read german. . .

Anyone know about the history of the syncro, or when they were produced in europe? I'm really anxious to see if the family still has it.

Thanks ahead, Gary Thaxter

74 transporter panel 78 westy 85 kombi 86 syncroGL maybe 82 syncro ?