Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:54:28 -0700
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adding the second battery to the early vanagon ('80)
Comments: To: David Katsuki <dkatsuki@WORLD.STD.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 09:06 AM 10/8/98 , David Katsuki wrote: >Bill, > >Actually mine does have the factory relay (called battery cutout relay on >the wiring diagram), and it is almost as you describe, except that the >factory relay doesn't turn on when the ignition switch is turned on, but >rather when the alternator is putting out current (it connects to a >separate terminal on the alternator ("D+") which produces juice only when >the alternator is spinning fast enough. That terminal is also conected to >the alternator warning light on the dash.) > Early Westies don't have the relay under the seat. They have a very similar relay mounted rather inconveniently atop the refrigerator. The same alternator- running-hot wire goes there on the early ones, so it is easy to wire up this arrangement.

All that said, my '80 westy uses a stock diode splitter. Voltage is a little low, and while it works for me, I'd vote on the other system -- especially since the proper wires are already near the proper places.

>I have also heard that the diode isolators have too great a voltage drop to >be used in VW systems, but in a previous thread, someone on the list also >said that he had used them with no problems. I only have experience with >the relay isolator, but I could easily imagine that the regulator might >have problems with an additional ~.6v-.8v drop in series. >

It was mentioned that Hella makes diode/regulators for the alternators with higher output. That would be nice.

Malcolm