Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:09:01 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@INTERPORT.NET>
Subject:      Lobro Front Outer CV Joint Kits Puny Nuts
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

The Lobro front outer cv joint boot kits you get from Parts Place ($50) or Bus Depot ($17!!) (same kit from what I can see) come with a front axel nut that is much smaller than the factory front axel nut--I would guess it is 1/2 the mass and does not inspire confidence. The nut is supposed to be changed every time you go in there, for example to work on the diff, change the boots or CVs, or to change the shocks. I take a skeptical view if this tiny LOBRO nut and recommend Syncro owners use either a factory nut ($8ish each) or order a pile of them from Mr. Metric (1-408-286-8816) as I did ($2.25 each).

I showed Gerald Skerbitz the difference between these two nuts when he stayed here a couple of weeks ago and he was amazed. Mr. Metric part number 50416, 20 x 1.5 Allmetal w/collar vendor code 1006, Lot number 507004 from Bossard DIN 980v BN6867. Mr. Metric said I had to order 50 but they only sent me 20. If the people on the list waiting for me to shoot them the remaining 30 don't hear from me in the next few weeks you can assume that 20 is all I am going to get and you can go ahead and order your own nuts directly from Mr. Metric. Possibly the other 30 will arive here within a few weeks, hoiwever, and then I will send them out. Most people seem to want to just have 6 nuts at a time. ________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC drew@interport.net '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swrange.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://www.pipeline.com/~tforhan/swmassn.htm http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html

Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/