Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:23:29 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Are all ECUs created equal?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Yesterday my 86 Vanagon Syncro died as I pulled away from a parking space. It would not restart or even sound like it might. I cranked away to no avail and checked connections etc. Then I called the Auto club for a tow home. After a couple of hours of checking I determined that it was flooding. The injectors seemed to spray constantly while the starter was engaged. Finally I removed the ECU and put it into my other 86 vanagon. The other van would then fail to start also so I put the ECU from it into the original problem van and it started right up. I noticed that the part numbers on the ECUs were slightly different as the good one had a D after it. The bad one did not. Can anyone tell me the what numbers were used in what years and what the functional differences if any might be? Also does anyone know where to get another one for a good price? I would be interested in a place to send my bad one for repair is such a place exists.

TIA Mark Drillock