Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:33:50 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Radio replies
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

** Reply to message from "K." <maddie@INTERLOG.COM> on Mon, 19 Oct 1998 18:07:06 -0400

If the radio has regular knobs with nuts under them, remove the knobs and nuts and remove the plastic faceplate. Under them should be the guts of the radio mounted in a second, inner faceplate. Look toward the edges for a pair of vertical slots maybe 1" by 1/4" or so, and see if there's a thin strip of metal on the outboard side of the slots. If so, it's the end of a leaf spring that lets you just shove the radio into the dash until it clicks. Use some thin tool to capture the edge of the spring and press it toward the center until you can pull that edge of the radio out a little -- enough to capture the spring. Then repeat on the other side, remembering to not let the first side slip back. Then slide the radio out, together with the inner faceplate. Mine had lots of washer/shims under both the outer and inner sets of nuts.... The stud on the back of the radio should have a rubber bushing on it which fits into a hole in a bracket descending from above -- you'll probably want to pull the ashtray (just pull straight up) and verify that it's a bushing and not a bolted connection, and also maybe work from behind to get the bushing out of the hole in the bracket. When you go to replace the radio, put the bushing on the stud and ease it into the bracket. The bracket is flimsy in the fore-and-aft direction, you may need to bend it to the rear some so the bushing will engage.

Does this make sense?

david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3