Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:23:41 EDT
From:         Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vacuum Canisters (was: cruise controll)
Comments: To: m.radtke@elm.az05.bull.com, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi, Hey Mike I needed that info before, not later.(Smile) Yes your right, and I do know that the cannister only holds the vacuum. The unite I did put in my 87 syncro was the Audiovox brand with all the features you mentioned. Good thing huh!. I didn't know that I did not need the sensors? Where should I have wired the sensor wires to? You know, I did have this feeling that there was another way. Hey that's what happens when you are a back yard mech like me.

Thanks for the info and please get back to mo on the sensor wires. Dan

<<Hello,

Vacuum canisters don't make vacuum. If your cruise is not fully functional on your car's open throttle vacuum, your cruise control will not work in that car unless a vacuum pump or other source of vacuum is found.

A vacuum canister stores vacuum so some accessory can work a few times after the engine is shut down. Power brakes would be a good example of such a use.

If a vacuum canister is used with a cruise control, it will extend the time that the cruise can effectively operate after a throttle open condition. So, if your cruise can't hold the throttle 2 seconds into a steep hill, adding the vacuum canister might make it last ten seconds. With Vanagons, there are a lot of 20 second hills.

I have installed many cruise controls, and several in Vanagons. The type that always works for me is distinguished by a feature called an electronic clutch switch. In other words, it detects an engine overrun and shuts down rather than depending on a mechanical clutch switch for that purpose. This type has gone through many changes over the years, and has been sold under various brand names. I can tell that it's the same cruise control because some of the mechanical parts have stayed the same from one version to the next regardless of brand. The most recent one that I installed was branded "AudioVox." (On a stick shift it doesn't require a speed sensor since it knows engine RPM.)

Mike 84 GL 58 Isetta>>