Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Oct 1998 20:12:14 -0500
From:         Martin Peitz <peitz@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to tow a Vanagon?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I have an original Westfalia Towbar on my Syncro (towbar has VW sign on it too). It and the car are rated for 5500 pounds of towing weight. I got a car trailer at U-Haul and went out to buy another Syncro and pulled it home with no problems (350 mls). It turned out to be better to start out in Low gear though. I also think I was above the weight limit. Upon getting closer to home I got faster and faster. At 2 a.m. the Alabama backwoods interstates are pretty empty and I clocked 80 mph on a slightly downhill stretch. Pretty stupid but I wanted to get home. Engine temperature was rock steady and normal.

Martin Peitz

Frank Miller wrote: > > I'm going to have to tow a Vanagon that I just bought a distance of about > 150 miles. Any suggestions on what to use? Someone told me to just rent a > generic towbar from U-Haul. I was wondering what the consensus was of this > group? It's an '84, standard transmission. Thanks! > > Frank Miller