Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:33:02 -0700
From:         Richard Dunsheath <"rdunsheath~"@AKAMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Leaking Heads - Boston Engine?
Comments: To: mmages@gie.com, Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Well, I just went out to check the mail, and noticed a nice little blue river flowing from the underside of my van (80K). It's been a week or so since I drove it last. I am about 95% sure it is the heads... I haven't even driven the thing 6k since I bought it (from the dealer)...

I am going to cry now.

Mark,

Welcome to the club.

That 87 maroon Vanagon you sold me last summer didn't go 6,000 miles before it started puking coolant out the expansion tank from compression gasses getting past the little green o-ring and displacing coolant. Couldn't drive the van, but it never leaked a drop from the heads.

I let the van sit for months while I drove my old blue air-cooled van until this September when I had enough time to do the heads. I followed the write up on the Boston Engine page but I bought the gasket kit and rebuilt AVP heads from Ron at the deepo. As long as I was messing with the engine. I went ahead and replaced the water pump and thermostat, both also from the Bus Depot. Make sure you buy a new o-ring if you buy a new thermostat. The water pump comes this a nice new big o-ring and also a small o-ring for the flange that bolts up to the water pump, but the thermostat doesn't have a new o-ring in the box. Messing with o-rings (trying to use the old one, putting in an o-ring that wasn't the right size, and trying to use make a gasket stuff instead of the correct o-ring) gave me the most grief of the whole job. When I finally got the right o-ring and buttoned the housing up, it was no sweat. I put in the 80 C thermostat to see if I couldn't keep the temps down a little since it gets hot down here in Texas.

I didn't use the yellow sealant stuff from VW to seal the nuts like you are supposed to use, but I did find out why you are supposed to use the yellow stuff. I was told by a kind soul from the list that the yellow stuff stays tacky so that you can retorque the nuts later without breaking the seal. With the stuff I used, the nuts won't leak as long as you leave them alone, but you cannot retorque.

Another tip that I got from the same list guru, was to make sure you thoroughly clean the surface where the thin green o-ring fits and to use a little silicone grease on the green o-rings to help prevent the o-ring from being abraded when the heads are fitted over the jugs. Makes a lot of sense to me and I wish I had known about that tip before I sealed up the heads.

Boston Bob recommends using JB Weld to fill in and build up the engine sealing surface, but I found that Marine Epoxy Putty worked great and it has the added benefit of not being runny. Since you are leaving the engine in the van, the surface is vertical and the thought of working with JB Weld on a vertical surface was not appealing to me.

Have fun, it's not very hard and you learn a lot about the engine in the process. If you do it yourself, you know that it was done right and you will save a shit pot of money.

I have the orange Prestone coolant, a K&N air filter, and the Ron's tune up kit in the Van and now it runs strong.

I was a little intimidated by Boston Bob's discussion about taking the exhaust system apart, so I started about a week before removing the system by spraying the nuts with Marvel Mystery Penetrating Oil. Worked great!!

When it came time to pull the exhaust system off, the nuts came off surprisingly easy. I bought a set of brass exhaust nuts from CB Performance and replaced all the bolts with stainless steel nuts, washers, and bolts. For the studs, I just used the brass nuts and plenty of anti-seize. If I ever have to pull the exhaust system off again, it should be easy. Bob is right, you do need to buy the two extra exhaust gaskets. I ordered the extra gaskets from the dealer up here, but it took them so long to get them in that I went ahead and re-used a couple of old gaskets that weren't in too bad of shape. They are not leaking now anyway, and if they do leak, I have their replacements in hand.

--

Regards,

Rich Dunsheath *************************************** Phn (409) 823-1692 Fax (409) 845-3419 512 Avondale Ave. Bryan, TX 77802

rdunsheath@akamail.com