Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:51:17 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <AL_KNOLL@HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2.OM.HP.COM>
Subject:      Thanks for CC info, Vegemite and SPAM.

Thanks to the group that replied on the cruise control input. I'll be putting this info to work after the BD Yahoo gets my speedo head repaired. They simply yanked the cable out rather than disconnecting it. Damaged the head, and the cable and broke the cluster cover tabs.

Vegemite is a byproduct of the beer industry. Marmite and Promite are similar but lack that certain something that sets Vegemite apart from the rest of the yeasty pack. Very high in sodium and B Complex, not good on icecream. Generations of Oz kids had V&B on toast for breakfast. Toast with butter and a vanishingly thin layer of Vegemite for the unwashed and as much as you want for the true aficionado.

I had my first V&B at Ian Ivey's Glentanner Station in NZ South island. Ian and Pat run a huge sheep station on the way into Mt. Cook National Park and are gracious hosts. NZ has many visitors from Japan for skiing in the NZ alps and I was fortunate to acquire a quaint home remedy for colds.

NZ Nosehammer:

On a single cracker (Ritz/Saltine or Hulsbrooke Cracked Pepper) spread a 1mm layer of Vegemite to cover. Top with a 1mm layer of wasabi freshly mixed with cold water. Eat the cracker in one mouthful, chewing slowly without opening your mouth. The combined effect of a massive dose of B Complex with the cauterizing capabilites of 0.5tsp of wasabi sends those symptoms packing. Clears the nose, the mind, and the memory.

SPAM. My father was a field hospital commander for G.S. Patton in the European theater. Spam was a staple and he liked it. In the pacific theater spam was also widely available and today the highest US per capita consumption of the venerable foodstuff is in Hawaii. A hawaiian island specialty is spam musubi, a nigiri style sushi made with thinly sliced and lightly broiled spam with a bit of teriaki-style glaze and a wrap of nori on the usual nigiri rice. A bit of wasabi adds a non-hawaiian tangent to the delicacy. I haven't tried putting together a combination of NZ Nosehammer and thinly sliced spam, musubi style.

Oddly VM is very expensive in the US and comparatively cheap in NZ and Oz. A 454gm jar (2 months supply for a small NZ household is about US2$ as I remember while a miniscule dab in a yuppie size souveniere jar brings US4$ here.

al

89 syncro westie (bessie)