Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:50:42 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Digfiant being defiant
Comments: To: vanagon list to post <vanagon@vanagon.com>,
          Martin's <nitram@TBCNET.COM>

--------------------- Hi Larry, Your van should run near normal with the o2 sensor pulled. Possibly your afm (air flow meter) main spring has relaxed a bit and is causing your too rich mixture. I have seen afm off enough that the oxygen sensor / ecu could not compensate enough and the vans ran very rich all the time. I would suggest you attach a lcd meter to the black wire on the o2 sensor and check the voltage after running a couple of minutes. Have the o2 disconnected. Below 0.5 is lean , above 0.5 volts is rich. This may seem stupid as you already see black exhaust but it will let you know the o2 sensor is working. Now if you pop the black plastic top on your afm you will see a wiper with a contact on it. If you move the wiper to the right is leaner to the left is richer. See if you can get a reading on the o2 to go rich and lean by moving the wiper left and right. If you determine the afm is set up too rich or lean you can adjust the tension on the main spring you see in the afm. Mark where the black plastic gear is situated before you move it . To adjust the tension pull the detent, loosen the detent screw is easier, out of the gear teeth and increase spring tension to run leaner and decrease tension to run richer. One other little detail, the afm should be adjusted around 3k rpm and I like slightly to the rich side of the perfect 0.5 volt reading, about 0.6-0.7 volts. With the voltage adjusted at 3k using the afm main spring tension now adjust the idle mixture using the idle bypass screw on the afm box. Double back and recheck at 3 k and idle again, tweak them a bit if necessary. Good luck with your quest. One little word of caution it is necessary that your tune up items be in good shape no bad wires etc. If you have a leaky injector this will not be good either. So please mark the gear so you can return it to the original position.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

-----Original Message----- From: Martin's <nitram@TBCNET.COM> To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM <vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, October 22, 1998 7:52 AM Subject: Digfiant being defiant