Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:55:46 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: The Vanagain Game (F)
Comments: To: SyncroHead@AOL.COM, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

>It's a little wierd if we're traveling with people from outside out family >when some one shouts "Vanagon" and points like they've just spotted an alien >spacecraft! People outside the family, just don't understand. :) > When I was a kid we played "bug", but later I learned of the painful "slug bug" variant and quit. By the time we had our own kids there were not enough bugs left about -- we had a "highway bingo" card that had a "red bug" spot, and it became the hardest spot to fill.

Last week, I drove the truck down to get groceries and whatnot at our "local" Costco -- like most stores an hour's drive away. We came out of the store to find a "Van-again" family clustered about the truck, patiently waiting for our return. They were the owners of a '91, and wanted to find out if I _made_ the truck -- they played "Van-again" but apparently had missed out on any idea that there could be such a thing as a Transporter Syncro Doublecab Pickup.

God knows how many points they are going to award for the first sighting of the even-more-rare Singlecab -- I told them there was one in the San Jose area. It would not suprise me to see a '91 GL prowling the south bay looking, kids hanging out every window, lusting after a glimpse of the legendary beast. They certainly expanded their scoring tables last week. I told them I had a red Kombi Syncro, too, so they'll be on the lookout for Vanagons whose side windows don't open now, as well.

Fanatics.

It is getting a bit distressing to go on long trips and see so very few of these things (or any VW bus) left. Where we live, we see many every day, mostly Westies headed up to Yosemite, but several local ones as well. The "bay area" of California is VW-bus-heaven -- so many there that your cries of "van--again" would get mighty tedious. Too bad the Dead are gone -- I used to work right next to Shoreline in Mountain View, California. When the Dead were in concert there, many hundreds of VW buses gathered each time, filling the streets, the local Safeway parking lots -- thick would be the infestation! I'd guess that the "geographic center" of Vanagondom would lie near Los Gatos, California, on the road between San Jose (and the "bay area") and Santa Cruz -- the time-warp to 1972. It might be interesting to plot this with Joel's "stats", although his figures are a little loaded in that e-mail is more prevalent in the bay area than anywhere else in the world, so the figures are skewed somewhat by this.

Malcolm H.