Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Oct 1998 14:39:26 EST
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Michael Townsend's transaxle questions
Comments: To: vanagon@Vanagon.com

Michael is having some fun........

Those switches for reverse lights can be a real bother sometimes. I don't think its the rod which closes the contact portion of the switch that has failed/broken. While its remotely possible I've not seen a failure such as that. Its more than likely that the rod is not pushing the button on the bottom of the switch in far enough to complete the circuit. Its not that the rod is worn out but that the switch is requiring the contact button to be 'over' pushed to get contact. I'd try a new switch and see if that cures the problem. (You did ensure that the entire reverse light circuit has continuity?) If you ask for a Vanagon back up light switch be sure to hang onto your panties because you'll think that they are gold plated for the amount they want. Take your old one in with you to compare before you leave the FLAPS. Most electrical items are not returnable for any reason other than being bad right out of the box so you want to make sure that they give you the correct one to begin with!

Now for the good part. By using my physic transaxle problem diagnosis skills and laying my hands on the computer monitor I'd say that Michael is probably going to need a quality rebuilt trans in the near future. I base this upon his noting that it is grinding into all gears when cold and the difficulty engaging 2nd gear. Being low on gear oil didn't help matters either. The above two complaints are very typical of the 091 gearboxes with 'old' style components. We started seeing complaints like this from Van owners around 5 years ago. The syncro rings were originally not all moly coated like they are now. Also, the pin that the 1st and 2nd gear fork rides on is known for stretching and eventually breaking. Then there is the notorious cracking 3rd/4th hub as well. For the syncro problem I only use German ones. These are not the factory ones, however, whenever you get those from the dealer they are not in the mfg. box and simply in a plastic baggy. I suspect, but cannot prove, that the German ones and the dealer ones are the same just rebagged. There are Brazilian syncros for about a fifth of the cost of the Germans (which are half of what the dealer wants for theirs) but I do not use those in my Vanagon box rebuilds. The Brazilian syncros seem to do just fine in the Beetle gearboxes but with the heavier Vanagon I'd rather go for a 'safety' margin and stick with German. I have seen, Horrors!, mainland Chinese syncros start to appear for the Beetle boxes but simply will not use those at all! For the 1st/2nd fork pin there is some minor modifications and fillet welding that cures that potential problem area. The factory updated 3rd/4th gear hub also seems to be doing its job well (all 091 gearboxes from me get this hub) and I haven't had any problems with them.

As far as how much is too much on transaxle leaks and seeps I have a rule of thumb that I go by. If the bottom of the transaxle is *very* slightly damp and dark from gearoil then I wouldn't pull it out for a reseal. If it is wet and dripping then that would be a prime candidate for at least a reseal and possibly a rebuild while we were at it. Some folks will not tolerate any discoloration or damp spots at all while others wait until it leaves an oil trail behind the Van so they can find their way home. You need to determine where your level of tolerance lies in that area. Synthetic gear oil is ALL I run and is a must in my Vanagon boxes. The VW synth is the best in my book but comes with a VW price tag. Mobil 1 seems to do a good job while others have reported good success with Redline MTL or Amsoil. If you were 2 quarts down then the transaxle has been leaking for quite a while. Michael probably had less than a quart remaining when he dumped the Mobil 1 in. Always dump the old oil and add fresh. Try not to mix the two if at all possible.

My 2 cents for the day.

Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA