Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:57:04 -0700
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      starter solenoid problems (and solution)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

For the second time, the starter solenoid in my '81 westy had crapped out. As it usually does, it waited until I was halfway from home to a destination more than 500 miles away. It didn't respond to the steel persuader (hammer) either. Push starts in highway parking lots full of paranoid people can take time...

Well, I finally got it home, ordered a new solenoid from Bus Depot, but that was going to take a week and I had things that had to happen on time, and not knowing if the van would start was making a nervous wreck out of me. Sunday I got under there and pulled the starter (easy once you find the bolt behind the throttle body in the engine compartment). On my van, I found removing the air box and the air passage that connects the throttle body to the air box were more or less necessary when trying to get that damnable nut back on, so take 'em off right at the beginning and everything goes faster. It's just two hose clamps and a couple of hoses. Might be able to leave the airbox in place, but I didn't try that.

Here's the scoop on the solenoid I had. It comes off the starter body with two screws, no problem. Disassembling it is a bit more complex.

First you have to use a soldering iron and solder-sucker or solder wick (bradided copper wire that absorbs solder) to get the solder off the two wires that poke up near the spade lugs. Now MARK THE CASE AND WHERE IT MEETS THE PHENOLIC CAP!!! (The cap fits on in two different orientations, and one of them is very very wrong and your starter will make the strangest noise as the bendix zooms in and out and the solenoid death-rattles smartly on and off -- very disconcerting and of course the car doesn't start.) Now undo the two screws recessed into the phenolic cap where you have been de-soldering. The phenolic cap should pop off. That's as far as I could get it apart. The solenoid inside is captivated by what appears to be a pressed-on clamp on the shaft, and the case is turned in at the edge where it meets the phenolic cap.

Towards the cap-side are the contacts for the big switch that lets current get through to the starter. I cleaned mine up a little bit but they were basically fine. The starter-side contact did not come off the phenolic cap in the solenoid I had (it's sort of pressed into place).

Reassembly requires making sure you install the paper ring that fit between the solenoid body and the phenolic cap (I forgot it the first time around...). Screw the cap on with the two screws. I put rubber cement under the heads of those screws to help keep it clean in there. Solder the wires back in. Take some rubber cement and put a healthy bead of it along the sealing ring where the solenoid body meets the cap. Now take some hospital or other cloth tape and tape down over the rubber cement. Rub it down so the cement goes through the tape. It's fairly similar to the original seal... I had weatherstripping glue around and that's what I used.

I am not convinced that going through all the trouble to get the back cap off is worth it, not to mention if you get it back on backwards like I did and spend the next hour and a half going through all this all over again. I don't think my solenoid had any problems there, so I'd recommend skipping it and looking at the next paragraph instead!

The problem my solenoid appeared to have is that the grease on the shaft that pulls the starter fork back (which in turn pushes the bendix out) had hardened up enough so that the solenoid shaft movement seemed a little sticky and rough. When I gave it full power from the battery it still worked fine, but in the car it appeared to not do so well. I dripped a bit of penetrating oil (Liquid Wrench) on the shaft at the starter-housing end and it loosened right up. I then took some leftover moly grease from my last cv-greasing experience and kinda pushed it into the space between the solenoid shaft and the solenoid body. It seemed willing to go down in there, so there probably isn't an o-ring (like there should be) on that shaft. Pretty soon the solenoid feels loose and healthy. Ok, guys, you can stop now.

Screw the solenoid back onto the starter, making sure of course that the hole in the end of the solenoid shaft fits over the starter bendix fork. Pretty obvious when you're assembling it. Dab some kind of sealer on the bottoms of the heads of the two screws so that the inside of the starter housing stays clean. Again I used weather- stripping cement. Or did I? Uh oh... I think I forgot to. Well, don't you do the same thing! :0

Now of course your car will start reliably every time. I hope.

I'm gonna take my new solenoid and stick it in the emergency kit for next time I'm stuck in the middle of Wyoming. Probably be a snowstorm, with my luck.

Gary

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea