Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 1998 12:06:36 -0400
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: repairs/solutions (long)
Comments: To: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>,
          Vanagon Mailing Lis <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

This bears repeating....

-----Original Message----- From: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates <snip...snip

>We don't go anywhere now unless the van (or Jetta) checks out to be >A-prime, ready to go. When we take the car in for service, we never look >for the cheapest way out, we look for what else might need doing while >they've got it ripped apart.

>Total cost, about $xxx. But I won't have to worry much about that >system for years. That's a great feeling....... >The peace of mind, is without price. .., I would rather >recommend that you save a few dollars in the long run, and PREVENT >automotive failure, rather than suffer at the hands of it.

This type of thinking is very hard to get through to some people (especially younger ones)... they spend life rushing around putting out all the little fires, ignored and now smoldering.... then it just seems to take one good breeze (disaster) and they all start bursting into flames....I find it's the same problem as discussing saving for your retirement....buying instead of leasing ....buying used, instead of new...some people are only aware of this very minute, they never get a grip on.... the long run.... When you own an airplane, you calculate how much it cost you an hour to fly... by dividing... the cost of your yearly inspection, the cost until your next major engine rebuild divide by hours left on the engine, tires (# of landings), landing fees, the cost of yearly insurance, tiedowns, then gallons of gas per hour... that equals your REAL cost per hour to run your plane.... in the sport of flying, it's called.... flying ahead of the plane.. Too many people, and vehicles in general, are way behind on their problems.... not up ahead of them. I wonder how many people, here on-line...I know you guys have computers, how many have their vehicle maintenance cost, on a spreadsheet?.... weird eh? planning your expenses... what will they think of next?... Retirement savings plans? Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure (hours are ticking down to a clutch & head gasket job)

rountree@planeteer.com