Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:33:54 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Tarp or awning
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <MSTEBBIN@MSVU1.MSVU.CA>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

> As I'm in the process of designing my own awning, I find Martin's >idea to be a good suggestion. I do think that bungieing the rear >end of an awning to the rear pop top hinge is a good idea and then >what I need to make is some "eyelette" thing-a-ma-bob to go on the >outside of the luggage rack (maybe where the screw is) so that I can >bungie the front too. I plan the use rip-stop nylon (burgandy of >course) for the awning. Any ideas??

I am a tarp fan, and i like lots of headroom so i decided against affixing the tarp to the raingutter, (that way also does not provide enough slope to deal with the rain that you encounter on Vancouver Island), so i decided to try and attach the tarp to the pop top.

Warning! lengthy and verbose description up ahead!

My solution is a green, coated, ripstop nylon tarp bought from Mountain Equipment Coop. It comes with its own stuff bag and packs very small. It is rectangular, 2.9m X 3.9m. It has reinforced grommet holes along the edges and webbing loops at the corner.

I attach one corner of the tarp to the roof hinge mechanism (pop top up), via a hefty o-ring and little metal "s" hook. The long side of the tarp is alongside the van. I attach the tarp to the front of the pop top (I screwed on a little nylon hook to the fiberglass "beam" that runs across the front of the top, right close to the side of the top. I got this hook at Peetz Tent and Awning in Victoria, a great source of material and hardware) again using a beefy o-ring this time the o-ring was fed through one of the grommets on the tarp. This left about 1m of tarp dangling down onto the luggage box. I attach a bungee cord to the corner of that dangling bit and pull it accross to a tie-down point on the other side of the luggage box. Now the inboard edge of the tarp is seen to be tucked under the edge of the pop top, protecting that side and giving a good peak for rain to flow off. The flap on the front also protects, to some degree, the front window of the canvas.

To support the outboard edge of the tarp I made a series of collapsable aluminum poles. I didn't have any tent poles to spare, so i made them up myself from som 6061 (i think) series aluminum tube (bought at the Metals SuperMarket, expensive but great for small purchases and browsing for ideas). I bought two diameters of tubing, one diameter fo the pole itself , and a smaller diameter that slid perfectly inside the pole to act as a connector. I epoxied the connector part inside the poles to form a male connector. The smart thing that I did (patting myself on the back)., was to make the pole sections in 2 different sizes: 4 "long" sections of about 1m, and 4 sections of 0.5m. This allows me to vary the height of the outboard edge of the tarp to suit the conditions. In balmy sunny weather, where the tarp is used for shade, I use the long sections plus the short sections giving me a 2.5m height at the edge. If the weather turns bad, I can adjust the height right down to (never have gone this low!) 0.5m. I also can have one end of the tarp higher that the other, mimicking the angle of the pop top. This works very well, esp when during wind driven drizzle, and gives a great slope for the rain to drain (infact you can collect the rain in a bucket off that low corner).

Oh I forgot to mention, I guy the poles with some utililty nylon cord and tent pegs. I found some great military surplus pegs a few years ago in a store in Williams Lake. They are shaped like a cross between a snow picket and deadman. Very easy to drive onto the ground and hold very well.

The tarp is much easier to set up than to describe, and has the advantage of being portable so that you can have it strung away from the van if needed.

The ripstop material is quiet in the wind.

Another (dubious) advantage of the tarp is its almost unlimited diddle potential. You can spend many a happy hour adjusting the guy lines and the pole heights to come up with new and better configurations :)

This tarp has been field-proven over the last two years, from windy(very) and wet Nitinat Lake area on Vancouver Island, to the "blistering heat" of the Cariboo-Chilcotin on the mainland.

Alistair