Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:03:54 EDT
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      awnings cheap, leveling blocks and a Fan
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Tim Smith writes:

<<<Subject: awnings cheap... Hi, most RV places sell an aluminium extrusion, in 10' lengths. like a C with a flange on the opposite side from opening. Flange gets screwed to rain gutter, I've seen it on underside of a Westy gutter. Could also go onto roof, aligned with the lid seal when closed. A tarp with a fat hem is used, slide some 1/4" rope into the hem, the slide the tarp/hem/rope along and into the C opening. Rope keeps the tarp from pulling through the C gap. File the corners of the C at each end to avoid tearing the tarp. Still need the two tent poles+lines to hold it up away from the van. The C rail is $1.25/ft. around here, black or clear finish. Yeah, I know you can't roll it out half way on a windy, It also costs about $25, wadddya want for that price. Make a half width tarp maybe? bye, Tim <<<<<<<

This is exactly the stuff I have on my Westie. The awning pulls into the C channel stuff kind of like the bottom of a sail pulls into the boom on a sailboat. I have little loops of wire on the ends that hook the ends of the drip rail for tension. Also, I use a third pole in the center that gets cranked up to form a peak for water shedding and more headroom. My innovation was to add a couple more grommets at about the 2/3's point out from the rain gutter so I can stick the poles in there in gusty conditions. The loose flap at the outboard side gets cinched down real tight forming a further break against the wind and rain, practically a tent at that point, also handy as a sunshade sometimes in the late afternoon. Since I was going wild with my little grommet kit I got from the hardware store I also added some more tie down grommets along all the free edges, just in case. For a floor I use one of those blue polyethylene tarps staked down at the corners by hooking the grommets with the hook of my plastic tent pegs. An Astroturf welcome mat completes the landscaping. Very civilized. Can someone pass the Grey Poupon......and a beer?

Other things that work for me are a set of leveling blocks I made out of a 2x8 lumber, 6 total with two of each of the following lengths: 19", 15",11". I beveled all the ends at a 45 degree angle to make them easier to drive up on when stacked. I'm thinking I'll add some dowels to pin them together at some point. I can stack them even or stagger them as needed, 3, 2 and 1 block under the wheels, for example, on a recent trip. It leveled the unit up well enough that we didn't feel like we were sleeping on the set of the Poseiden Adventure. The blocks aren't really that heavy and stack away in the floor of the closet. I usually use the short block to prop the tailgate open at night.

Lastly, I bought one of those very classy 6 inch 12 volt fans they sell at Pep Boys for about 15 bucks in preparation for an extended trip through Arizona and Southern California recently. It was a lifesaver some nights getting a little air circulating through till it cooled off. I mounted the fan on a plywood base, kind of oval shaped and very stylish, about 8 inches by 6 inches. It sits without moving around atop the sink just fine. Stores away in one of the lower cabinets right beside the $39 5inch black and white TV. Now that's livin' ;^)

Carl Turner 84 and 85 Westies